This is actually the first cancer related movie I saw before I thought of doing this blog. That said, I don't totally hate this movie. It's not overly sentimental or evasive in treating the topic of cancer, and the message of hope is genuine. It's based on the real life experience of the screenwriter, Will Reiser. The main character lives through chemo and radiation and surgery and is given as good a prognosis as possible, though the specter of remission is there.
One unique spin this story has is that the patient is required to have a form of counseling while getting treatment, for any psychological or social challenges the patient might face. This is the first movie that I'm aware of that refers to this. I don't know how widespread the practice of requiring counseling is, but in my case it was required and I found it helpful.
Which leads to the main sour note in this movie for me - the romance between the patient and his therapist. Not only would a relationship between patient and therapist be highly unethical, but implausible and pretty much ridiculous in the midst of the situation. But hey, this is Hollywood storytelling. Gotta have romance.
No comments:
Post a Comment